This chocolate covered strawberry ice cream is an easy and delicious treat you can enjoy all summer long. Fresh strawberries pair perfectly with rich dark chocolate and a creamy no-churn ice cream base. This recipe is a new go-to in my house and I’m sure it will be in yours too!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is no churn ice cream?
This ice cream base is made from three ingredients: sweetened condensed milk, whipped cream, and vanilla. It’s slightly sweet, a bit tangy, and a cinch to throw together. Just combine all the ingredients and stick it in the freezer until solid. No ice cream maker required.
CAn I make this recipe with frozen strawberries?
Sure! This strawberry sauce can be made with fresh or frozen strawberries. However, frozen strawberries will take an additional 5-10 minutes to simmer and thicken, depending on the size of the strawberries.
do I really have to let it freeze overnight?
Unfortunately, yes. No churn ice cream takes longer to freeze than a traditional custard ice cream. If you try to eat the ice cream before it’s fully set, it will be too soft and won’t have the same creamy quality.
How to Make No Churn Ice Cream
Step one: make the strawberry sauce
In a small saucepan, combine the chopped strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. The sauce will start to thicken and should be able to coat the back of a spoon after 10 minutes. Transfer it to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside to cool.
Step two: make the ice cream base
To make a soft and light ice cream, you need to gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk. It’s best to use a rubber spatula to fold the ingredients to ensure that you aren’t deflating the cream too much.
Step Three: Combine the base and add-ins & freeze
Swirl the strawberry sauce into the ice cream base and top with chopped dark chocolate. Cover in plastic wrap and set in freezer for at least 12 hours. If you have an insulated ice cream tub, this will help the ice cream freeze more evenly and produce a softer ice cream. But if you don’t, a metal loaf pan will work too!
Other Ice Cream Recipes You’ll Love
Chocolate Covered Strawberry No Churn Ice Cream
For the Ice Cream Base
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Strawberry Sauce
- 2 cups fresh strawberries quartered
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 oz dark chocolate chopped
Make the Strawberry Sauce
- Combine the strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Be careful, it will be hot! Cool completely before adding to ice cream base.
Make the Ice Cream Base
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or a hand mixer), beat the cream on high heat until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, fold together the sweetened condensed milk, whipped cream, and vanilla until smooth.
- Swirl the strawberry sauce into the ice cream base and top with chopped chocolate. If you have any leftover strawberry sauce, it can be stored in the refrigerator and used as a topping.
- Freeze the ice cream at least 12 hours before serving.